Apple said a “small percentage” of MacBook Pros sold between February 2011 and December 2013 are experiencing issues with distorted video (or none at all) and out-of-the-blue system restarts. The problems affect 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pros produced in 2011 and 15-inch Retina MacBook Pros produced from mid–2012 to early 2013.
If you’re experiencing any of the above issues, check to see if your MacBook Pro matches one of the models by using Apple’s “check your coverage” tool. Then back up your data, pack up your MacBook, and take the computer to an Apple Store or a repair center authorized by Apple. Apple outlined the repair process in further detail here.
- MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011)
- MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012)
- MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011)
- MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, Early 2013)